An important part of achieving and maintaining a healthy weight is knowing how many calories your body needs at rest to function properly. These are the so-called “supporting kcal”. Calculating this value will allow you to adjust your calorie intake according to your goals, whether it be losing weight, gaining muscle mass, or simply maintaining your current weight. Many people wonder how to calculate maintenance kilocalories.
Therefore, in this article, we will tell you how to calculate maintenance kilocalories, their meaning, and what they are for.
The Importance of Maintaining Calories
Calorie counting is one of the foundations of proper nutrition. If you’re not a very advanced practitioner and don’t know exactly what your body needs from years of training and experimentation, counting calories is the best way to reduce your chances of starting the wrong diet.
Calorie maintenance calculations are important because each person has unique calorie needs based on age, gender, physical activity level, and body composition. Knowing this number will give you a better idea of how many calories you need to consume to achieve your desired weight in a healthy way. In addition, you will avoid the mistake of consuming more or fewer calories than necessary, which can negatively affect your metabolism and long-term results. For more information Global Pediaa.
It should be borne in mind that there are people who want not only to maintain their weight but also to gain or lose weight. Learning how to calculate maintenance kilocalories is quite helpful in these contexts. If we don’t know how many calories we need to maintain weight, we’re more likely to make mistakes when it comes to gaining or losing weight. If we gain weight with too many calories, we will gain more fat than we should. On the other hand, if we are going to lose weight with very few calories, we will lose weight too quickly and make our weight-loss process ineffective.
What to do to gain or lose weight?
We find these two conditions. Once we know what our maintenance kilocalories are, there are two directions:
- To lose weight (lose weight): If your goal is to lose weight, you must create a calorie deficit, that is, consume fewer calories than your body needs to sustain itself. Moderate and sustained deficiency is recommended to avoid negative effects on your health and support long-term weight loss. We just need to start by subtracting about 400-500 kcal from maintenance kcal.
- To gain weight (auscular mass): If you want to increase muscle mass, you will need a calorie surplus, that is, consume more calories than you burn. It is important to note that this increase in calories must be accompanied by strength training to promote muscle development and not just increase body fat. To do this, it is recommended to start with an increase in maintenance calories by 300 kcal. If after two weeks we see that we do not rise from this, it is advisable to rise by another 200 kcal. In these cases, whenever you want to gain muscle mass, you must control your calorie intake more, as our body fat gain will also depend on this. If we have too many calories, we will put on fat mass and shorten the muscle-building phase.
How to Calculate Maintenance Calories
When it comes to gathering food, the first thing to know is how much energy we need based on our daily needs. To do this, there are formulas that give an indirect, but very approximate estimate of the calories needed by each person, taking into account factors such as weight, age, height, gender, and activity level.
- Man = 66.473 + [13.752 x weight in kg] + [5.0033 x height. cm] – [6.755 x age]
- Woman = 65.0955 + [9.463 x weight in kg] + [1.8496 x height. cm] – [4.6756 x age]
The value generated from the RMB must be added to the extra energy used for physical activity, whether it be daily life or exercise.
Physical activity indicators:
- Sedentary or sedentary people: multiply the yuan by 1
- People who engage in light activities but do not exercise: RMB x 1.2
- Moderately active: participate in dynamic daily activities: multiply RMB by 1.4
- Very active person: Participate in dynamic daily activities and regular physical activity at least 3 times a week: RMB x 1.6.
- Extremely active people: activities with high-calorie intake: yuan times 1.8
Once we have calculated our maintenance calories, there are many mobile apps that make it easy to keep accurate calorie counts. These applications allow you to record your meals and automatically calculate the number of calories consumed. Some of these apps also provide you with detailed nutritional information and allow you to set customized goals based on your needs and goals. Some popular options include MyFitnessPal, Chronometer, and FatSecret.
Calculate maintenance calories and combine them with exercise
The calculation of maintenance kilocalories is also important for the correct execution of the volume or definition phases. During the bulking phase, you will have a slight calorie surplus to support muscle development. During the definition phase, you will be in a calorie deficit to reduce body fat and highlight your muscles.
By knowing your maintenance calories, you can fine-tune your calorie intake to meet your goals without compromising your health. In addition to maintaining the right amount of calories, exercise plays a critical role in overall health and achieving your weight goals. A combination of cardio and strength training will help you improve your physical condition, boost your metabolism, and maintain healthy muscle mass.
It should also be kept in mind that one of the most important tips given to my clients in style and as a personal trainer is that our diet is not just based on calories. You should also adjust to a healthy diet with nutrient-rich foods, fiber, and healthy fats.
I hope with this information you can learn more about how to calculate maintenance calories and their importance.